Being able to negotiate well is important in a wide range of business situations, from agreeing delivery terms with a supplier to discussing working conditions with your boss.
Negotiating focuses on the skills and language students need to be able to negotiate confidently and effectively in both formal and informal business situations.
The units cover:
- Preparing to negotiate
- Opening the negotiation
- Making and reacting to proposals
- Reaching agreement
- Involving others
- Concluding the deal
Negotiating provides six core units, each containing these sections:
- warmer to raise awareness of the skills involved in effective communication and to introduce different strategies for developing these skills.
- presentation and practice of core language connected to each skill.
- over to you, which allows students to apply what they have learned to their real-life work situation.
In addition, the book contains:
- a needs analysis to help learners to think about their strengths and weaknesses in English and to identify and prioritize their learning needs
- a personal learning journal to help students monitor their learning during the course
- a review to help consolidate the language work students have done in each unit
- a reference section listing the vocabulary, grammar and phrases covered in each unit
- an answer key, including suggested answers and audio scripts
Negotiating is designed for classroom use, but is also suitable for self-study.