Suitable for: classroom or online
How to play
1. Divide the class into pairs.
2. Lead in: on the board/slide or online pad, write:
Past Present Future
Why…? Can you…? Do you prefer?
Food Sports Weather
Ask students to choose one time, one question word, one topic, and ask their partner one personalised question.
3. Give each student in a pair either a Student A or Student B card. (downloadable PDF here below)
4. Explain that students should ask their partner questions about the topic areas in the right-hand column, using the question words on the left.
5. Give students time to think about and write down the questions they want to ask in the “Notes” column.
6. Tell students to take it in turns to interview each other.
Follow-up Students identify and report to the rest of the class:
a) three interesting facts they found out about their partner;
b) three similarities and/or
c) three differences they found.
Students complete a feedback sheet and discuss each other’s performance.
This activity is designed for IELTS classes but can also be used in general classes for speaking practice. Watch the video with Aida Sahutoglu for more ideas and activities:
Click here for more information about Aida’s new books:
IELTS Games and Activities: Speaking and Writing