Materials: A short text or story
Students sometimes find reading tedious and would often prefer to watch videos. So, how can we encourage reading and looking at texts? This activity will get students involved with the text and hopefully get them engrossed in the written word.
- Find a short text on any topic or that is related to the work you are currently doing.
- Individually students read the text, underlining key words and important facts or information.
- Ask the students in pairs to compare what they have highlighted.
- Still in pairs, ask them to reduce the text by half to still keep the same information.
- For higher level groups, ask them then to reduce the text by half again. You can even ask them to sum it up in a limited number of words - 6 words!