IELTS Advantage: Reading Skills
|Authors:||Jeremy Taylor, Jon Wright|
|Level:||B2-C1 / IELTS 6.5-7.0|
Authors Jeremy Taylor and Jon Wright were Specially Commended for this title in The British Council Award for ELT Writing at the Society of Authors’ Awards 2013.
IELTS Advantage: Reading Skills is a fully comprehensive resource for passing the IELTS Academic Reading Test with a grade of 6.5–7.0 or higher. Students who are taking the General IELTS Test can also benefit from the book. This book teaches a range of key strategies for reading more effectively and for understanding texts more easily, such as skimming, scanning and speed-reading techniques , helping students to get a better result in the Reading paper.
Each of the ten units provides a variety of long and short texts that cover major topic areas likely to appear in the exam. Each unit is divided into different sections to help students:
- get to know the many question types and how to approach them
- develop skills to cope with the amount of reading in the test
- learn strategies which help in making the most of the time in the exam
- develop vocabulary and collocations, with particular attention paid to synonyms and paraphrases, essential for a good exam result
- Suitable for classroom study or self-study
- Includes answer key
- Includes additional sections to help students with core skills needed for IELTS:
- Useful websites for hours of IELTS reading practice
- Problems to avoid when filling in the answer sheet
- Tips for effective vocabulary skills
- How to get the most from your dictionary
- A summary of IELTS tips
- How this book helps prepare for the other IELTS papers
The ‘spotlight on exam techniques’ sections are very useful and provide a remarkably wide range of learning strategies and exam techniques, including tips for dealing with ‘yes, no, not given’ questions... Worth investigation.
EL Gazette, June 2013 PDF